Firsts and Lasts

Steffen's First Day of Kindergarten:

Steffen's Last Day of High School

Dear Steffen,

Where has the time gone? I can hardly believe that you are graduating from high school this week. I still remember like yesterday you looking like that sweet little boy with the Micky Mouse backpack. It really does feel just like yesterday.

I still remember like it was yesterday:

The fact you LOVED to dress up in hilarious costumes from the time you were very small. Remember "Mr. Plaid?" You would find every plaid piece of clothing you owned...regardless of the color or type of plaid...and put it on. Hat included. I would have to call you "Mr. Plaid."

I also remember when I got new glasses. You were two. You wanted glasses SOOOOOOOO bad, too. The optometrist was kind and gave you a pair of glasses frames (sans the glass) that you treasured and wore whenever I'd let you for the next two years.

I remember the day I picked you up from preschool on the first day of school and your teacher said "Goodbye Brian." I was all, "What? His name is Steffen." Your teacher said that the roll said Steffen but you told her that you went by Brian. Hilarious!

I remember when we moved to California and you wanted to fit in. Tetherball was the big game at recess. You begged for one...Dad bought it for you...and you practiced out in the back yard like crazy! I also remember how happy you were when you started winning at recess! You found your place at Rocklin Elementary through tetherball.

I remember your ear surgery ( I believe it was second grade) which required almost cutting your entire ear off to do. I remember you had to home school for the month following, doctor's orders, so your ear could heal correctly. I remember your teacher came over every single day after school to bring your homework and to visit with you. I remember you would help me bake special treats for her. I remember she loved you and when we moved away from California she invited our family over to her home for lemonade and brownies. I think she was perhaps your favorite teacher ever. I know she was one of mine.

I remember your baptism. I remember how cool you thought it was that Uncle Brian gave you that Silver Coin at your baptism....reminding you that through the atonement you can remain as pure as a pure silver coin. I hope you never forget that.

I remember when you got your first guitar. You wanted to learn to play it so badly. You looked forward to guitar class every week so you could learn something new! I loved listening to you practice then, and I love listening to you play now. You amaze me with your musical talent.

I remember the day you got the priesthood and the first time you passed the sacrament. I was so proud of you. I feel this same way when I hear you bless the sacrament.

I remember the day you turned sixteen and got your license. I was so scared for you:) Remember how I got us lost at the DMV when we went to get it? Who does that? Oh yah....me.

I remember the first day of your senior year...where has this year gone?

I love you, Steffen. You are a constant source of laughter in my life. Your creativity inspires and amazes me! It really does.

Steffen, you came into mine and dad's life at the perfect time. You were the glue that kept us together through difficult days in early marriage. God knew we needed you. I still do. Thank you for being such an incredible son.

I love you,
Mom

Popular Posts