Happy Birthday Dear Grace!!!


Dear Grace,

Ten years ago today, I gave birth to a daughter named Grace Katherine Baker. It was in a hospital in Roseville, California. It was in the evening, 8:10 p.m....I believe. And, it was definitely a night I will never ever forget. Grace your delivery was very, very difficult. There were tremendous complications with your birth. You nearly died from lack of oxygen as you, this 37 WEEK TEN POUND daughter, was stuck during delivery with the cord wrapped tightly around your neck. Extreme measures were needed to get you out, leaving you with two broken collar bones, and nerve damage to one of your arms. And we discovered immediately after birth you had a congenital skull deformity. Within a week of your delivery it was also discovered that your hips hadn't formed sockets as needed.

Two weeks after your birth, Grace, your dad was laid off from his job. It was a stressful time. You and I flew every other week from Sacramento down to Burbank, California where one of the few doctors who was experienced with your type of skull deformity resided. Also, every single week we drove down to the Shriner's hospital in Sacramento to have them work on your hips, in addition there were therapies for your arm to help repair the nerve damage.

This was a year of life I don't think I will ever forget, dear Grace. It was difficult, but, even so, I was so grateful for a beautiful new daughter to hold near to me, to snuggle with, and to love on. I remember many flights snuggling you close on the plane down to Burbank. I rocked you, yet at the very same time, your sweet little spirit comforted me. I remember wild taxi rides in Burbank holding on to you for dear life as crazy cab drivers took us on what felt like roller coaster rides.

That year was a tough one, Grace, but you and I bonded in a special way because we were able to spend so much time together. I love you, my Gracie. And so, as tradition goes, dear Grace, for your 10th Birthday.....here are 10 things I LOVE about you!!!

1. I LOVE that you have such a clever, creative mind! I completely enjoyed looking at the blueprints you shared with me recently for your invention to help people speak to dogs. It is brilliant!

2. I LOVE that you are so truthful. Your desire to be honest is noticed by everyone around you. What a great example you are with that!

3. I LOVE that you are not afraid to be yourself! I know that you don't like bows or girly things, and I think it is great that you express your true self all the way from the inside to the outside. You are my "Sporty Spice!"

4. I LOVE that you like to help out. With a big family, I am always truly grateful for the service you give. You bless me with your help.

5. I LOVE that you like math and science! Those where never subjects I was very good at, and I think it is so awesome that you excel in these areas!

6. I LOVE that you like to read! You can read for hours upon hours! It reminds me of myself as a little girl. I use to climb up into the Cherry Tree in my yard and hide among the branches with a book.

7. I LOVE that you love your sisters and brother. They are lucky to have a sister that is always creating a fun activity to do. The Thanksgiving play you wrote...complete with costumes....and presented was awesome! You make a tremendous director!

8. I LOVE that you love adventure! You are always up to trying some new daring thing!

9. I LOVE that you are so responsible with your homework. I rarely have to remind you. You know what you need to do and get right to it!

10. I LOVE that you are my daughter. At this difficult season in our family's life, I am reminded more than EVER how blessed I am to be surrounded with such treasures. You, Grace, are a treasure....my treasure....and I love you dearly. Happy Birthday, Sweetie!

Love Forever,
Mama

Popular Posts