Meet Meghen...


Meet Meghen Douglas. Meghen and I were in a fashion program in high school together. I was a year older than her...a Senior...and Meghen a Junior. We sat together in fashion and worked on projects together, we shared life stories, talked a LOT about fashion, and worked hard, side-by-side on projects for the program. We traveled to New York together with the group of girls being trained. We visited with major designers in their showrooms, learned TONS about the industry together, visited amazing sites in New York together, even ate a famous landmarks together. (Tavern on the Green being my favorite.) We were young girls in a fashion program who were passionate about our love for style and a desire to both have a future in a highly competitive industry!

At the end of my senior year, I received the coveted "Most likely to succeed in the Fashion Industry Award." Believe it or not...it was a significant thing. The program was one that prepared us in every sector of the industry...from modeling on the runway, the designing of clothing..I could tell what every kind of detail on clothing was...collar-type....cut of skirt, etc. We learned the business of putting together a show, the business of marketing one's designs...and so on.

At the end of my Senior year I felt very good about the fact that I was picked for the award. I was grateful to be recognized for my hard work and dedication. I knew I was a good student. I did know that! But what I didn't know was perhaps FAR more important! What I lacked was the confidence in myself to begin immediately making my dreams come true! With all my attention for excellence in my work...the outward stuff...what was in my head was not the thoughts of a champion! My confident exterior was not matched with confident thoughts in my head. I was simply good at playing the role. I knew how to behave. So often things are NOT what they appear to be.

I will never forget the last day of school my Senior year. Meghen and I were talking as usual. I asked her what she would do after she completed her last year of high school. (Remember...Meghen still had another year.) Her reply was completely confident and direct...SHE DIDN'T SKIP A BEAT..."I am going to be a model." I remember being shocked by such a bold expression from such a quiet girl. Meghen was quiet and shy. I was shocked. Meghen was very understated...rarely wore makeup, hair usually in a pony tail, t-shirt and ripped jeans was her style. The boldness in which this usually shy girl spoke took me by suprise!

I graduated from James Madison High School in the DC area, moved on to Provo, Utah to BYU...and began my studies. And, then came the Fall of 1988...my second year of college. I was walking down the hallway in the Fashion department of what was then the SFLC. There was a spread of fashion ads on the wall. I walked past the display purusing the ads...eye candy for me...I will never get tired of fashion ads :). I continued down the hallway. Then...I stopped dead in my tracks. Could it really be...NO WAY! I turned around and walked back to the ads. It WAS! HOW COULD IT BE POSSIBLE?! She had just graduated a few months before from high school!!! There was Meghen wearing a white bathrobe...the ad...PERRY ELLIS. There she was! She had done what she said she wanted to do! I was completely blown away. She was not only modeling, but PERRY ELLIS? Remember folks, this was the eighties...PERRY ELLIS RULED!

And so, every Saturday morning for the next several years I would turn on Elsa Clinch on CNN's Style. I would see Meghen walking down the runway for almost every major designer's Fall and Spring Collections...and she traveled the world to do it! Meghen OWNED THE INDUSTRY for a good ten years! I couldn't help but see her every time I opened up Vogue, Cosmo, or any other fashion magazine, and...Vicky's Secret...there she was! Ann Taylor...yep...any company that was worth ordering from...Meghen represented them as well. Meghen was also a Cover Girl for Cover Girl Cosmetics, as well as the face for Finesse. She was EVERYWHERE!

Why was it significant to me? Well...for a good decade I was reminded by a shy, understated girl..who from the outside you might not think had what it took to kill it in life...but on the inside...had EVERY TOOL necessary to ROCK HER LIFE! Meghen...you changed my life! From the moment I saw you in that Perry Ellis ad...I KNEW I needed to grow in my confidence in myself and to begin taking opportunities to succeed! I began to no longer fear risk and allowed myself to see it as opportunity! You started that Meghen.


Love,
Shannon

Popular Posts