Happy 19th Birthday, Steffen!!!


Dearest Steffen,

Wow! 19 years! I can hardly believe it! And so much has happened over those nineteen years. Yet, it still seems like only yesterday. Funny.

This is an emotional letter for me to write. It was during this past year of your life where there have been more change in your life than any of the previous years. It was this past year that left you the "Man of the House" in our family...a title and a necessity that has been full of blessings and challenges.

And so, "Man of the House" at only 18 and now 19 years old, as the tradition goes...here are 19 things that I absolutely LOVE about you!

1. I LOVE your Smile! Yes...I say this one EVERY year...it's true. But, it doesn't change the fact that your smile lights up a room. It definitely lifts my spirits on difficult days, and it brings joy to every one around you!

2. I LOVE your Dancing! You have learned to dance in the kitchen from the "Master." :) And, nothing makes me happier than to see you dancing in the kitchen! Love it!

3. I LOVE your Fashion Sense! I mean it! You come up with the coolest outfits ever! I am continuously amazed by your creativity! And, I always appreciate your warning me if my own outfits are looking too "Momish." Thanks for keeping me cool!

4. I LOVE your Art! Drawing is something you have enjoyed doing since you were a little boy! I hope you will continue with it, because you have SOOOOOOOO much ability here!

4. I LOVE your Music! I love lying in bed and hearing you play your guitars, or writing your latest piece of Techno Music. It really is fun! Again, another area you are CHUCK FULL OF TALENT!

5. I LOVE your Hugs! One of the things I love most is that you still hug me and tell me that you love me....even at 19:) Can you never get to old for that?

6. I LOVE your Jokes! Even at 19 you haven't outgrown a good "Poo" knock-knock joke. Is it a boy thing? I'm not sure....but all these years later, they still make me laugh!

7. I LOVE your Car! Yep, the black car with the mismatched red door warms my heart when I pull into the driveway and see it parked there. It means you are home. I love that.

8. I LOVE your Crazy Keepsakes! I know that I complain about the massive amount of keepsakes that you have. And let me emphasize the word MASSIVE. But, the truth is...it represents the tenderness of your heart. That the smallest thing, even from second grade, brings back warm memories and is meaningful to you. Yep, even your smelly white blankie from your childhood that hasn't known what it is to be white for years!

9. I LOVE your a Big Brother to Emma, Grace, Olivia, and Chloe! It can't have been easy growing up in a household full of emotional women. Not at all. But you have done it well. Thank you for that.

10. I LOVE the relationship you and Emma have developed! When the two of you were small, you were not sure what you thought about having a sister. (Especially being that you were nearly five years old before she came along.) But then she grew and could talk and play with you, and suddenly you had a "partner in crime" for all your creative adventures! The two of you were unstoppable! Then came the early teen years....and well....you tolerated each other. Then came the late teen years. Something magical happened. You two discovered each other again. I have felt more joy in watching you spend a valuable paycheck on clothes for your sister, or your helping her assemble outfits with the latest looks for school and church, etc. You have been so sweet with her. I love that.

11. I LOVE that you have not given up! This year has been tough. We both know it. But I have watched you not give up. I am so grateful for that. I LOVE that you haven't. I LOVE that you are working to build something of your life. I LOVE that you will talk about your hopes and dreams to me. I know, Steffen, that you are born to do great things! Don't forget this, and NEVER give up!

12. I LOVE that you will still go out with me! Dates with my son are a treasure to me...you, Steffen, are a treasure to me.

13. I LOVE that you are considering going to hair school! I love the thought of growing old with you being my hairdresser!

14. I LOVE that you are so well liked by the folks you work with! Any time I go in to your work someone always tells me how great you are! That says a lot!

15. I LOVE that you aren't afraid to think BIG! Don't ever lose this, and never fear the hard work that big things require! YOU CAN DO ANYTHING you set your mind to! ANYTHING!

16. I LOVE that you aren't afraid to be Unique! This is one of the things I admire most about you! You are totally yourself! I think that is such an admirable quality! One I hope you will never lose!

17. I LOVE that you Laugh a lot! Your laugh is one of the things that has kept me going all these years! I hope you will continue to always find a reason to laugh...every single day! Laughter can be so healing and a tremendous coping skill!

18. I LOVE that you want to do the Right! You are a wonderful person, Steffen. You truly do want to make good choices. I know that about you. I promise you that as you continue to seek after good things, it will bless your life immeasurably. We truly do reap what we sow.

19. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that you are my Son! You, Steffen, are one of the greatest gifts in my life! Each day as I kneel to pray, I thank my Father in Heaven for trusting me with the children he has. I thank him for you, Steffen, and for all you bring into my life, all you teach me, all you bless me with.

It is truly my prayer that this your 19th year will be incredible! I pray it will be a year full of new beginnings, new vision, new hope, and new happiness.

I love you, Son. Love Always,
Mom



Popular Posts