Happy Birthday Emma!!!!!!



Dear Emma,

Today you have turned 14 years old! I can hardly believe it. My emotions have been close to the surface all day because of it. Emma, your birth was perhaps my most peaceful birthing experience. There wasn't the other delivery, or health complications experienced with your birth as there were with the rest of the children's births.

There you were....my Emma, my first daughter, my first redhead of what would be followed by three more redheaded daughters. The daughter I dreamed about naming Emma from the time I was a young girl. A name that was to be used to honor your Great Great, and Great Great Great Grandmothers named Emma. As the doctor lifted you for me to see, I literally recognized your physical beauty and felt your inner beauty the very moment I saw you. It was a powerful moment for me. One in which I will NEVER forget. I felt the peace and majesty of your spirit immediately. And, in some way, it was like a reunion for us...one with a dear, dear girlfriend. Certainly we were friends in our premortal home. I knew that then and absolutely feel that today. Having your spirit in my life felt like medicine to my soul. There really isn't any other way to describe it other than that.......medicine to my soul.

The doctor laid you, sweet Emma, on my chest immediately. I was overcome with emotion and love. Tears streamed down my face as I began loving on you and singing you lullabies. I still remember a handful of the songs I began to sing to you: "My Little Girl Go to Sleep" (oh how I had longed for a daughter of my own to sing this song to), "Deep In The Hundred Acre Woods" (The Winnie the Pooh Song), "I Am a Child of God",....to name a few of the songs.

Emma, it has been nothing short of a privilege to be your mother. I can say this with no reservations. You have been a source of joy, love, peace, compassion, service, knowledge, and beauty in my life, in the lives of your other family members, and in our home. You are a treasure and I feel infinitely grateful to have even been considered by God to be your mother.

Thank you, sweet Emma, for your hugs and quiet acts of service. You seem to just know the very moments when I am feeling sad or going through a heartache, or am worn out without me needing to even speak a word. It is at those moments I find your sweet arms wrapped around me offering comfort, or a sink full of dirty dishes suddenly washed, or find you comforting or helping a small sibling before I can get to it.

I love you Emma with all of my heart and soul. I truly do. I see within you so many gifts, your musical talent, your ability to love unconditionally, your ability to hear the promptings of the spirit, your love for your Heavenly Father and Savior and your desire to keep their commandments.....I could go on and on and on.....but as our tradition goes....I better save a few things for your Birthday List. As you know, because you are turning 14, here are 14 things I LOVE about you!

1. Emma, I LOVE your beautiful heart! It is pure, without any guile, and as generous as a heart could ever be! Thank you for loving me with that beautiful heart!

2. Emma, I LOVE to watch you develop your talents and continuously find new ways to add beauty in our home and in the world. I love it when all is quiet in the evening and I can hear you playing your violin. You play with such tenderness and yet such power. That may sound like an odd mix....but it is the only way I know to describe your music.

3. Emma, I LOVE your beautiful red hair! It seems we cannot go ANYWHERE together without someone commenting on it's beauty. You are so blessed to have it! AND you will save a FORTUNE in your life from not having to pay a hair colorist to make it beautiful! :)

4. Emma, I LOVE your radiant smile. It can lift my mood in a moment. It is powerful! I know you are not loving your smile being "under construction" with braces at this moment....but it has not changed its beauty one bit. It is beautiful, because it is yours!

5. Emma, I LOVE your ability to love unconditionally. You continue to amaze me with your ability to love and serve. You set a powerful example in this for me and our family.

6. Emma, I LOVE your laugh! When you get the giggles you make it so I can't stop laughing! And you know what that means....if I laugh loudly enough and long enough...I start to snort! Very unattractive I know, but you can make me laugh that hard!

7. Emma, I LOVE cranking up the stereo and rocking out in the Expedition with you. I think we have been doing a good job at creating dance moves that can be done while one is driving or sitting in a car :)

8. Emma, I LOVE your intelligence! I love that you love to learn! I am so proud of you for being nominated this month as the most outstanding Eighth Grader of the Month at your Middle School. You are incredible!

9. Emma, I LOVE your craftiness! You can make something beautiful out of ANYTHING! Your ability to think outside of the box in creating beauty is inspiring!

10. Emma, I LOVE your ability to organize and plan! You will go places girl! You have developed the ability at a very early age to set goals, and then align your daily choices or decisions in such a way to make your goals come to pass!

11. Emma, I LOVE that you love to watch movies with me. This past year as been an exceptionally stressful one for our family. Here is me promising you that we will be watching LOTS more movies together this year! PROMISE!

12. Emma, I LOVE that you love all things girly, as do I:) It is so fun to be able to share clothes and jewelry with you know! It seems impossible that enough time has passed for you to be old enough for this to be the case....but it is!

13. Emma, I LOVE that you are so articulate! You have an ability to write and speak that is FAR beyond your years! I cannot wait to see how you will use this ability in your future years.

14. Emma, I LOVE that you are my daughter! The truth of the matter is....I simply do not have the words to express how deep my love is for you. I look at you and my heart swells. I feel such a deep sense of pride in the woman you are, and look forward with such great anticipation to the woman you will become. It is a thrill to be able to be a part of your life. I know that the day will come that I will stand before our God and say, "Thank you, thank you for letting me be her Mother."

I Love You Forever,

Mama

Popular Posts